El Chalten Poincenot Full-Day Trek from Hosteria Pilar
This option offers a perfect loop that goes via Laguna Capri and then drops back into El Chalten village. It can be walked either from Hosteria Pilar, or in reverse from El Chalten village.
- Start: Hosteria Pilar (located 17km north of El Chalten village).
- End: Campamento Poincenot
- Grade of difficulty: Medium Difficulty.
- Distance from Hosteria del Pilar to Poincenot: 7.1km
- Distance from Poincenot to El Chalten village: 8.4km
- Trek Time for the full loop: 6hrs
- If camping you need to bring your own gear.
- Experience Required: You need to be reasonably fit. No trekking experience required, but you should be accustomed to long walks, and trekking poles are recommended.
- Season: All year round, but in the winter, it depends on conditions.
This trail is less traveled than the main trail (walking from the village).
In order to get to the starting point of this trail you have to take a shuttle from El Chalten to Hosteria el Pilar - 17km from El Chalten. There are daily buses to the trailhead.
This is a simple trail that goes through a well-populated Lenga forest, the slope is quite steep until you reach the Del Salto stream. From this point, it is already possible to begin to see several glaciers in the distance, after that you will pass by some pretty views of the Rio Electrico Valley and Piedras Blancas Glacier.
After approximately 6km, you will join the normal route that comes from Laguna Capri. Almost immediately afterwards, the path goes back into the forest, and after only 120 meters from the junction, it reaches the Poincenot campsite.
Click on map for larger image