El Chalten Campamento de Agostini Full-Day Trek
One of the classic walks of El Chaltén offering great views and exercise. Once you get to the Campamento de Agostini there is a fine view of the Laguna Torre and glaciers.
- Start: Northern Sector of El Chalten, at the end of San Martin Avenue; beginning of 41 Route.
- End: Campamento de Agostini
- Grade of Difficulty: Medium but be aware of changing weather conditions.
- Distance: 17,4km, return.
- Trek Time: 9hrs, return.
- If camping you need to bring your own gear.
- Experience Required: You need to be reasonably fit. No trekking experience required, but you should be accustomed to long walks, and trekking poles suggested.
- Season: All year round, but in the winter, it depends on conditions.
This is one of the classic trekking trails from El Chaltén offering a wonderful view at the destination, but also a lot of uphill trekking.
From El Chaltén you need to take the trail to the Laguna Torre and after a small climb you will enter a small Ñire forest. From here, the path starts to ascend until it levels out alongside the Fitzroy River up to the viewpoint of the river canyon and the Margarita waterfall.
From the viewpoint after about an hour of walking you will arrive at the Mount Torre viewpoint. Here are some of the most magnificent views of Mount Torre, the Adela range, and glaciers.
The trek continues for 2 hours through thick Lenga forests, crossing old glacial moraines and wet plains formed by the previous courses of the river, until you arrive at Laguna Torre and camp de Agostini.
At Laguna Torre it is usual to see huge icebergs that have fallen off the Torre glacier face.
Click on map for larger image