Clothes to Pack and Wear for the Elqui Valley, Northern Chile
The time to visit the Elqui Valley in northern Chile (470km north from Santiago) is during the summer months, therefore we will talk about the summer clothing you should pack when coming here.
In line with any hot place that generates a lot of daily sunshine you will need light, summer clothing. Outdoor shoes or boots. Take comfortable, layered clothing such as fleeces, t-shirts, swimming gear, long pants and long-sleeved shirts. Include an outdoor, warm top for cold nights. Lip balm, sun-screen cream and sun glasses. Also bring a small backpack to carry water bottle(s), snacks, extra top, sun cream and so on.
NOTE: This is not an area where you will be doing much trekking, therefore the description of “trekking boots” means that you can bring along the same boots that maybe you have used elsewhere on your trip where you have done some trekking. However, if you prefer just pack lighter outdoor shoes or boots. This area is more about visiting local villages and relaxing rather than doing any walking activities.
Clothing Check List
- Fleece and windbreaker.
- Short- and long-sleeved cotton shirts.
- Trekking pants (preferably ones that can be unzipped into shorts), or normal pants (trousers, jeans etc).
- Outdoor shoes or boots.
- Sneakers or sports shoes (or trekking boots).
- Hat to protect yourself from the sun.
- Sunscreen and lip protection.
- Backpack to carry sunscreen, camera, water, etc.
- For inside your hotel: light, informal clothing.
- Binoculars and camera.